Car chat for the car non-enthusiast.

I'm tired of watching people get hosed at the mechanic! Since my husband is the most trustworthy auto tech I know, I thought I would share some of his secrets with anyone willing to listen. I can't diagnose your car over an e-mail, but if you have any general car questions or need some advise, e-mail me at stupidcar.sarah@gmail.com

Friday, March 4, 2011

What Do You Feed Your Car?

You are driving along and you notice that it is time to fill up the gas tank in your stupid car. 
On one corner is an Arco and on the other, a Chevron. The Arco is a whole 6 cents cheaper so the obvious choice is Arco, right? 
Maybe not. 
Some cars don't care what kind of junk you put into the engine, they will perform the same whether the gas in them is high quality or low quality. (My 1995 Ford Contour is a good example of a car that doesn't care.) On the other hand, 
some cars need to be cleaned out every once in awhile and Chevron and Shell gas has an additive that is similar to a detergent that cleans out the nasty carbon build up in your engine. 
There is a very real possibility that your car is the one that likes high quality fuel and if that's the case, you will notice your baby underperforming and she might even need a pricey trip to the mechanic to make it all better. 
Your car can probably handle cheap gas from Costco or Arco, but make sure you give it a special treat by fueling up at a Chevron or a Shell occasionally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment